Monday, November 7, 2016

"The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibility."

It is now the time to show political involvement, if you are over eighteen and are a legal citizen in these United States. Simply because we live here, we have a responsibility to our families, neighbors, and countrymen to place over vote for the candidate we consider best able to run our country. Before we are able to make a valid choice, though, we should take the time to get acquainted with the politicians running and the platforms they have put forth.

To paraphrase Luke 12:48 in the New King James Version of the Holy Bible, “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required, and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.” While Luke was not one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ, it should be noted that he was a physician. He was a learned scholar. He was someone who had worked and studied to become a helper to others. He never personally knew Jesus. He became a follower after Christ’s death, when he met Paul and came to Christianity. It seems that according to Luke, not only do we have the responsibility to use our knowledge-but to take it a step further-that we have the responsibility to gain knowledge. It is no wonder Luke became a saint.
Image Source
Some people, for whatever reason, are not as fortunate in life as others. I believe that each person should help others in any way possible. I do believe that it is my duty to offer others any assistance that I am able to offer. To me, like Luke, I have an obligation to better myself by getting as much education as I can. Not only will I be helping myself, but my family, as well. I have been taught to help myself first; then, I can expect help from others. If I am putting forth the effort, I find that others are willing to extend their help. Often, after I try, I find I don’t need others to help, and the satisfaction feels very good. I would like to think that knowledge brings ethic along, but I’m afraid that is wishful thinking. At times, it is the most uneducated person that is most willing to give aid or shelter when needed. I want to be the person who has knowledge, and is using it for the good of others.

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty nice personal reflection, and you make some good points, but it only gets at part of the question, and only from a personal-knowledge standpoint, and without any reference to Maths at all, which is the unit from which you should be drawing your examples and ideas (since it is the culminating blog for the unit).

    Start here: in mathematics, what is a piece of knowledge that you imagine must carry an ethical responsibility? How about in Sciences? It's fine to draw on your personal religious convictions, but it is also essential that you begin to see religion ALSO as an area of shared knowledge that has its own embedded assumptions and limitations as well as its own systems for verification, justification, and interpretation.

    ReplyDelete