Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Uncanny Valley


1. And today was fair, hot, even; I woke and my fingers were hot and dry to their own touch, like the skin of a stranger.” (Dillard, 260)
2. “I fingered the winter killed grass, looping it round the tip of my finger like hair, ruffling its tips with my palms.”(Dillard, 264)
3. “And like Billy Bray I go my way, and my left foot says ‘Glory,’ and my right foot says ‘Amen’: in and out of Shadow Creek, upstream and down, exultant, in a daze, dancing, to the twin silver trumpets of praise.”(Dillard, 271)

“Oh this is some delicious work”, “Look at that little butt of his don't you just want to eat it up?” Sounds strange right? Both of these statements my IB Literature teacher have said, it always felt weird when she would say it and I could never put my finger on it, but when we started reading “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek”(and when this blog was assigned) I decided to do some research on it.  So, it’s called the uncanny valley, and what it means is adjectives or verbs by themselves or with the normal object or subject  seem alright, but when lines start getting crossed everything can get pretty hairy pretty quick.
Image Source

Think of this, when you were younger you probably had a teddy bear, right? Think of your childhood teddy bear. Now put human teeth on him/her, it seemed weird didn't it. Dillard does a lot of this in her book “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek”. She describes things in her memoir with descriptions or words that shouldn’t apply to the subject/object that she is in the process of talking about. For example, in the last chapter of “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek” she is sitting on a grassy in the winter and reflecting on her time at tinker creek when she says, “I fingered the winter killed grass, looping it round the tip of my finger like hair, ruffling its tips with my palms.”(Dillard, 264) Now, I don’t know about you but “fingered” and grass don’t seem to go together nor does the word fingered sound very pleasant. This goes right below the line of human likeness and at the tip of the uncanny valley.

Contact with others, it can be one of the scariest things for some people. Now imagine waking up and when you fingers touch together, it felt like the skin of a stranger. Feels extremely uncomfortable, right? Dillard does this on a day in December in her book, she says, “And today was fair, hot, even; I woke and my fingers were hot and dry to their own touch, like the skin of a stranger.” (Dillard, 260) You can look at your skin and see that it’s yours, but touching it it’s someone else. Now this is one the things at the bottom of the valley.

Dillard is pulling us out of the valley, and ends the book on a very good note. “And like Billy Bray I go my way, and my left foot says ‘Glory,’ and my right foot says ‘Amen’: in and out of Shadow Creek, upstream and down, exultant, in a daze, dancing, to the twin silver trumpets of praise.”(Dillard, 271) This starts to get to the healthy human part. She says that she is walking and references the bible, I feel that this book took the uncanny valley "journey". In some chapters and in via negative areas, Dillard is very strange but I feel that she pulls it out and ends her "Godly" book on a very Godly note.

No comments:

Post a Comment